Syracuse University PressContact UsOrder The Encyclopedia of New York State home page
Encyclopedia of New York State
Cover of the Encyclopedia of New York State bookAbout ENYSSelected entriesReviewsOrderAdvisory boardEditorial boardDonorsContact Us


Pittsford (Town and Village).                 more selected entries

Town (pop 27,219) and village (pop 1,418) in SE Monroe Co. Settled in 1789, the town was formed from the old town of Smallwood in 1814. The village was the site of Monroe Co's first schoolhouse (1794), first library (Northfield Library Co, 1803), and first newspaper (Gospel Herald, 1815), and was incorporated in 1827. As a result of the Erie Canal (1822), canal warehouses were rapidly built. The canal, along with the Auburn and Rochester Railroad (1842; later New York Central), fostered commercial development in the village while the town remained largely agricultural, with suburban development after 1950. It is the site of Nazareth College, St. John Fisher College, and the Pittsford Plaza mall. Graflex (1957) formerly manufactured cameras, tape recorders, and projectors. The Village of Pittsford, with a developed landing on the Erie Canal, has retained many historic 19th-century buildings, especially in its retail center. Pittsford's Greenprint (1996), a plan to preserve 67% of the town's farmland and other undeveloped land, has received national recognition as a model for other communities.

Carolyn Vacca


line


Syracuse University Press
621 Skytop Road, Suite 110
Syracuse, New York 13244-5290
Phone: 315.443.5534
Email: supress@syr.edu
Fax: 315.443.5545

line

Home  About ENYS  Selected Entries  Order  Editorial Board  Advisory Board  Donors  Reviews  Contact Us  Syracuse University Press 

line

© 2000-2015 Syracuse University Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

web design syracuse: CustomWebHelp